Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dr. MLK Jr. Incredible Letter

For my Farewell to Art class we cover a ton of history. The reading for tomorrow concerned the Civil Rights Movement. We've all heard a ton about MLK Jr. and his well-known speeches, but I guess I have never realized just how incredible and brilliant of a man he was. We had to read a ten page letter of his for tomorrow and it was so worth it. I don't know if anyone will read this (which I highly, highly encourage), so for now I am posting this for when I someday look back on my schooling and learning.
This letter was in response to a statement made by eight white Alabama clergymen entitled "A Call for Unity." In it the clergymen agreed that social injustices existed, but argued that the battle against racial segregation should be fought solely in the courts, not in the streets.
It is truly inspiring and deserving of some pondering. I hope to be able to apply this to our world now. I also wish to apply it to me personally: how I treat people, my ability to work for greater causes, and to not sit idly by.

No comments: