Sunday, May 11, 2008

Horrible Granddaughter

My dad is in London for the Naval Reserves for two weeks. While he's gone I decided that I would cook my grandpa dinner every night for numerous purposes... He would love me even more. He wouldn't be eating TV dinners every single night! I would be knocking out a Personal Progress value for YW. And maybe I could actually learn something about cooking before I left home.Anyways... we are a week into this adventure and it's not goin' too hot. I think my grandpa hates me more. He's eaten fast food twice. And apparently I can't cook a dang thing!
I got most of my recipes from Favorite Recipes: The Costco Way. I owe it all to Sis Sopt... she made me get it a long time ago and it is amazing and fun! Oh, and it was free :)

Sunday night I made Honey-Glazed Chicken Stir-Fry
Everything turned out way good... except for the rice. I added too much dang waster! So, it was super soggy. I'm basically a horrible person... there's a rice shortage!! And here I am, wasting it! So, to not be a completely horrible waster.. we ate it. Pretty nasty. I only threw away 2/3 ish of it....


Monday night I made the easiest thing on Earth... tortellini alfredo. I don't think he can
 remember ever having it, because he asked me what it was and he wolfed it down! Probably his favorite of the week. 

Tuesday night I went to the Commissary and spent $60 on the next 6 ish meals. We ate
Cranberry Walnut Salad with a Sweet Poppy Seed Vinaigrette (made by me), which I had to call my brother, Kris, about, because it called for white wine vinegar and I did not know what to do!! But all turned out well. Grandpa liked it, especially because he asked me to put his bleu cheese in it.
Wednesday night he told me he had a request... for grilled cheese and soup! Ugh... I was 
trying to be all gourmet and try new things, but Grandpa loves his routines. At least this made him happy.

Thursday night I didn't get off work till 7:15. I felt really bad that he was eating so late, so I just picked up his usual from Wendy's. Horrible.







Friday he told me, if I didn't have anything planned, he was going to pick up salads for him and
 me from Wendy's. Bummer. It was fine though, I didn't get off work til after 7, so I just ended up hanging out with friends and eating with them. Horrible.








Last night I made Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup with White Beans (about halfway down the page). It is seriously my new FAVE dish!! It is ridiculously good and easy. My grandpa, however, wasn't too keen on it. Oh well. My mom keeps on reassuring
 me that it takes him a while to adapt to new things, and likes his usuals. Oh well. I liked it and so did one of my
 friends.


Tonight... again.. he just wanted a sandwich (chicken and mayo) with a pickle on the side. What
 an easy-to-please man.







Stay tuned for more fast food, gross food, and maybe an occasional good dinner!
Suggestions would be INSANELY appreciated too!

6 comments:

Lemme said...

you rock!!! try this on for size...taco soup:
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 can tomato sauce
1 lb browned (cooked) ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning

dump all that in a crockpot (or you could cook it in a big pot on the stove). Don't drain all the cans of stuff...dump the juices in too. It's sooooo good!!! Eat it with Fritos ans sour cream if you need to.

Also...Cream Cheese Chicken
4 chicken breast
8oz cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken
1/2 stick of butter
1 packet dry Italian dressing (like what you use to make Italian dressing)

Throw it all in the crock pot. It's really good with rice!!!

d.c.r.k.soptich said...

You are so funny. I think you should make him enchiladas already!

Anonymous said...

Mexicali Chicken: this is so quick and easy!
We usually make it to feed our family of 6 or 7, but it can be down-sized. So for you...

-Cube between 3/4 and 1pound of chicken, and toss with 1-1/2T of taco seasoning in a small amount of oil.
-Add 1 heaping Tablespoon of peach jam (more if desired; sweetens)
-Add 1/3c. salsa
Simmmer 10 min or until heated through. Serve over rice.

*variations*
-add some drained corn to the mix
-add some drained black beans
-add more of your fav ingredients; more jam can be added to an individual plate after it's served.

SO Good!!!

KellyAnne said...

I think it's awesome that you are cooking for him! Way to go! I am very impressed with your variety of dishes. When in doubt at my place, we have spagetti. :)
I understand the issue with old favorite though. I remember my grandpa would only go out to eat at Artic Circle (hamburger joint) or the Village Inn (like Dennys). Drove us all crazy. And my other grandpa put ketchup on everything and it was very insulting!
Keep up the good work! I know he appreciates all your attention and effort. You are an awesome lady. :)

Tara said...

Wow! I wish I were as creative for my little ones, although I think they might be about as appreciative as your grandpa. And, you take great picture! I've got to have you give me some tips.

KellyAnne said...

So, I tried Sarah's Mexicali Chicken. It was so good, and my family even liked it. Yea! Oh and it was pretty darn easy too. Thanks Sarah!